Who I am....

My photo
I'm just a girl...trying to live as authentically and as freely as possible. Hoping that throughout my journey to authenticity others are led to discover the truth of who they are as well....

Sunday, November 14, 2010

Moving forward....

sometimes i think that looking back is a good thing
it can bring perspective
it can show us how far we have come
and remind us that growth is possible
i was going through some emails tonight and I came across one I wrote earlier this fall
i had written it just before coming out to Idaho
i wrote it while in a dark place 
in a scary place
tonight i hesitated to read it
i wasn't sure if i was strong enough to face the pain i knew it contained.
and then i remembered that if it became too much i could stop
so i opened it
and began reading
with tears streaming down my cheeks
and immediately i was face to face with what miracles the past 6 weeks have held
this will be my most raw and vulnerable post to date
but i believe that concealing the growth, the miracles, does not leave the door open for these things to continue
so i am going to share the words i wrote
because for me, it is one more way of bringing light to that darkness
...DEEP BREATH...
 
 
I woke up pinching at myself, poking at my body, doing everything imaginable to validate my waking thought of 'i am fat'. By the time I was awake for an hour, I had weighed myself 3 seperate times, opened & shut the fridge and the pantry multiple times, walking away empty handed and sobbing each time, and canceled my doctors appointment because I was 'to fat to be seen'. This has been the story of my life day in and day out for the last week. The internal battle seems never ending. Externally I've got the mask down like nobodies business but inside I've been a wreck. I did an actual mask to represent this to take to therapy. It's pretty amazing what the differences are between the view the world sees and what I'm constantly looking at. I finally decided that I was going to go crazy if I sat in bed alone with my thoughts. So I put on my running shoes, packed a small backpack with the essentials and took off. I ran for a long time, probably longer than I should have, but I needed something to focus on. After awhile my body began to say 'no more' and I became forced to stop. I found a tree next to the lake, unpacked my bag & literally layed down. By this point I was in tears yet again because I was just feeling so lost. It illustrated my life up until this point. Run, run, run until I fall down completely exhausted and unable to go even one more step. Although I am completely excited about the things occuring in the next few weeks, I am also deeply terrified. I'm feeling much the same as I did February 26th, 2009 when I received the phone call from Selah telling me that they wanted me there the following week. I was beaten down and at the end of myself at that point. That call gave me hope, yet also filled me with fear. I knew that it was the answer to so many spoken and unspoken prayers yet it also represented a great loss that I was going to have to face. Knowing that I was going to be in a safe place gave me courage, but the knowledge that I was going to have to let the love & safety of strangers replace the 'safe'  relationship I'd had with my eating disorder for so long was absolutely terrifying. I was laying there at the lake today trying to figure out why I have fallen apart in the last week so completely and I realized that this happened prior to Selah as well. When I got that phone call from Gayla telling me that my admissions date was set I truly felt like things couldn't get any worse. I had been told by doctors 2 months earlier to enjoy Christmas because it would probably be the last one I would be alive for. There was absolutely no medical reason for why I was still alive. Yet, the days between the 26th and March 2nd, the day of my admission were absolute pure hell. ED reminded me over and over of all I would be losing when I entered Selah and gave 'him' up. So I went on a week long eating disorder rampage. I needed to take in all I could of that lifestyle before having to walk away from it. God showed me that in many ways that is exactly what I am doing now. While I'm not entering treatment again, I am getting ready to go into a place of safety and love. I'm going to have to once again make the decision to choose love and real relationship over the false security my relationship with my eating disorder provides me. And this scares me. This means letting go of the numbness I've allowed myself to dive in to. This means I might actually have to face things rather than run from them. I'm not in the greatest place right now but I am willing to keep fighting. As much as it seems like the ultimate escape right now, I don't want to die. I haven't figured exactly how I'm going to do this yet, but I know I can. I wish I was coming to you as the woman I want so badly to be, but unfortunately I think it's going to take a little time. 


...AND EXHALE...

whew, laying it all out there brings out alot of emotions
i remember that day so clearly
i was miserable
at the end of myself
pretty unsure of whether the future held the good that i was so hoping for
i am so thankful that i was able to hang on to that hope
because life IS good
really good
i am still scared of facing things
but i am no longer running from doing so
i still go to the pantry and walk away empty handed at times
but then i ask for help
and most of the time can then do what i need to do despite the fear
feeling truly loved
and accepted
just for who i am
not for what i can do or who i may become
but just for who i am moment to moment
is allowing me to shed those masks that i lived behind for so long
it is so freeing when the external and the internal finally can align
 
so thankful i held onto that tiny ray of hope
so abundantly thankful







 













11 comments:

  1. I want to hug you right now. I can't believe what you have been through and what has brought you to Idaho at this moment. You are getting stronger in every way..every day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love you Jamie. I am soooo glad you decided to show your bravery and come. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are a remarkable young woman...I love you so much and I'm so thankful God sent you here. I can't wait to see what the future holds for you...you are choosing light, and I have this feeling you are going to change the world....but for now, I just love to be with you. XOXOXOXO

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love watching the miracle of YOU unfold. So proud of the bravery you are embracing to LET THE MIRACLE HAPPEN....even when it's kinda scary. What a beautiful post, what a beautiful soul. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Choosing truth and giving it a voice is a beautiful wonderfully brave thing to do sweet girl. Rejoicing in that today. oxox

    ReplyDelete
  6. I will strive forever for the strength you now possess. A beautiful example of Gods merciful grace.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so glad you held onto hope to Jamie. You are such an amazing woman. I am so proud to call you my friend. Sending you so much love.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jamie.... you are there for a reason.. God knew all along. You are such a brave, strong woman.. and I feel blessed I had the chance to be with you.. xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are amazing. You have found answers that many women struggle for decades to find. You are so brave. <3 YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  10. baby bird...i am wiping my tears.
    i am so proud of you! so very proud of who you are CHOOSING to be and that i get to be a part of that. a part of that journey with you.
    i am so grateful you came into my life and i love you with all my heart dear one!
    xo
    and
    exhales

    chrissy

    ReplyDelete
  11. oh sweet one....i am so happy too. i am so happy you saw that tender piece of hope and grabbed it.

    i love you endlessly.
    i love your bravery.
    i love your realness.
    i love your honesty and authenticity.

    you inspire me.
    i love that in your sharing so openly...you WILL help others.

    please keep walking on your path of truth and light.
    i feel so blessed you are my friend.

    oxoxoxo
    smooches to you
    k

    ReplyDelete