Who I am....

My photo
I'm just a girl...trying to live as authentically and as freely as possible. Hoping that throughout my journey to authenticity others are led to discover the truth of who they are as well....

Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Tears.Fears.Miracles.

This was me at about 1am this morning. An hour after I turned 27. I'm looking like I am having a great day, huh? I was in a place of sorrow and desperation that I have not found myself in for quite some time. I was literally sobbing, full out wailing. I get teary just thinking about how miserable I was feeling at the moment that I took this photo. September 29th is the hardest day of the year for me. Yet it is also supposed to be a happy day. My emotions revolving around it are so conflicted every year. It never ceases to amaze me how confusing this day is. 27 years ago today, I was born on my fathers birthday. Born on his birthday, given his name, I was his little girl....The exact definition of "Daddy's little girl"...It is hard for me to comprehend why this changed. Why 27 years later I find myself with so many unanswered questions. So much hidden hurt. So many confusing memories. Why today I spent the beginning of my birthday curled up in a ball in front of my fireplace clutching a teddy bear like a scared little girl instead of celebrating my life. I had all of these horrible words running through my brain. Words that I faced every year when the birthday card from him would come addressed from whatever prison he was in at the time.
Today was at one time our day, but I am also coming to realize that it is also MY day... I get to choose how I spend it. I can allow myself to acknowledge that it is a painful day. That on some level it may always house some pain , because denying it and pretending that the hurt isn't there, that it doesn't exist doesn't do me any good. But I don't have to deny myself happiness because he is unhappy. I didn't even realize I was doing it until this morning. When I was refusing to allow myself to read birthday messages simply due to the fact that I knew he wasn't receiving them. His choice to hurt me landed him where he is. Not mine. It is however MY choice whether I decided to sit in that prison cell with him or let myself live the life I have fought so hard for. Making that choice is scary. I am not sure why I am so fearful of it, but I am. Letting go of who he once was, accepting what he became and contiues to be is tough. I am working on it. I am working through it. I am not there yet.

I spent the afternoon walking through the woods with a couple of my favorite people. At first I saw this picture and wanted to delete it. All I could focus on was how swollen my eyes look. And then I decided to see it as a picture of hope. Less than 12 hours earlier I had been in that ball on the floor with tears streaming down my cheeks. I didn't know if I was going to be able to make it out of the house today. And then I made the choice to live today for me. Swollen, painful eyes and all.....
Happy Birthday to me....

5 comments:

  1. you are so very brave, Jamie. I admire you so much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. happy birthday to YOU! YOU! YOU!

    i am so happy you made the choice to enjoy this day for YOU.
    to get out of your house, be with friends, enjoy the beauty around you.

    you're a pillar of strength sweet one!
    OWN IT!!!

    xxoo
    kolleen

    ReplyDelete
  3. my dearest jamie,
    i understand so much of what u r writing about and i think that is why i have always felt this special bond with u. i love u and i am so proud of u. happy birthday my love....this is YOUR day!

    love u always,
    michelle

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi beautiful girl-I'm so glad I found your blog!
    One thing I want to tell you is that YOU are completely and only and uniquely YOU. YOU are not your father, or your mother, or anyone else that you may share blood with-YOU are just YOU-BEAUTIFUL, CARING, STRONG, YOU! I am learning this too. GOD made us-we are his blood. That makes me feel stronger just to say it out loud. I am so positive that God has the most amazing plans for you. Meeting you in person, hugging you, and hearing your story...I know it's been so very hard, but I know for sure He has something amazing in store for you! I'm excited to see it happen-hold on to that when you feel alone, okay! I love you-I think you are truely amazing xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. i love you beautiful girl!
    sooooooo blessed that you were born and are now my baby bird whom i love to the ends of the earth.
    xo little one!

    ReplyDelete